Wednesday 10 February 2010

Book Review - I Will Need to Break Your Other Leg

Author Prasanna Gautam

Hammersmith Press

ISBN 978-1-905140-121-3

I have to say I found this book absolutely riveting. Whilst it could be read as a ‘dip in’ book, I would recommend it be read cover to cover – as I did in a couple of sittings.

While there are many ‘I was a medic’ books, this one stands out because the author was trained in India and first practiced in rural Tibet, giving the best clinical care possible with often inadequate instruments and drugs, as well as socio-political obstacles. In fact, he ended up having flee to England with his family, where he worked hard for the NHS until retiring.

I felt I learned something along the way, as diseases and procedures are explained as the tale is told – but not in such an obtrusive way as to interrupt the flow of the story.

This book is brilliant. I loved it, and would recommend it to anyone with the slightest interest in medicine. Certainly an eye-opener for me.

No comments: